Garden Making focuses on what we’re calling The New Natural Garden in issue No. 30. We explore ideas and suggestions to encourage gardeners to let nature help guide the design of their gardens.
“When you stop to think about it, making a garden is an unnatural process,” writes Editor-in-Chief Beckie Fox in her editor’s column. “I hope this issue’s theme helps add to the understanding of how our gardens can be more of a partner with nature.”
Articles about the theme include:
- “Can We Embrace the New Natural?” by Belinda Gallagher, an instructor at the University of Guelph in Ontario.
- “Wild-ish at Heart,” by Tony Spencer, who has studied naturalistic gardens around the world and writes TheNewPerennialist.com
- “Invite Wildness,” an excerpt from her new book, Grow Curious: Creative Activities to Cultivate Joy, by Gayla Trail of Toronto, who posts on YouGrowGirl.com.
- “Splendour of Our Native Grasses,” by Stephen Westcott-Gratton, with 10 suggestions for gorgeous native grasses.
Other articles in the issue include:
- Cilantro’s time to shine, by Laura Langston
- The beauty of wildflower bouquets, by Janet Davis
- Grand garden parties to mark Canada’s 150th, by Heather White
- Garden profile of a modern classic, by Liz Primeau
- Subtle charms of sanguisorbas, by Lorraine Flanigan
- Tackling tree pests and diseases, by Stephen Westcott-Gratton
- A sense of place, by Karen York
We also asked nine Canadians to write about gardens that inspired them and have contributions from:
- Helen Battersby, garden coach and blogger at TorontoGardens.com
- Janet Davis, photographer at the paintboxgarden.com
- David Hobson, garden columnist for the Waterloo Region Record in Ontario
- Colleen Zacharias, garden columnist for the Winnipeg Free Press
- Veronica Sliva, garden and travel writer at gardenersworld.ca
- Rob Howard, garden columnist for the Hamilton Spectator
- Niki Jabbour, author, blogger at SavvyGardening.com and Halifax radio show host
- Mark Cullen, author, columnist and radio show host, at MarkCullen.com
- Trudy Duivenvoorden Mitic, columnist for Focus magazine in Victoria
Format: PDF download
Published May 2017